Questions: Sections 9-10
- What two major factors accounted for the settlement of North Dakota by Euro-Americans?
- What were the two transcontinental railroad lines that crossed North Dakota? Which railroad line crossed the state diagonally?
- What provided the main source of power on pioneer farms?
- Who was generally in charge of milking the cows and taking care of the chickens?
- Name the major grains raised by pioneer farmers.
- Which machines were used to prepare the ground and seed the crops? Which machines were used for harvesting?
- What were some of the jobs of young children at threshing time?
- What was the cheapest and most available feed for horses and cattle? What other feeds were used?
Critical Thinking Question
- Explain why pioneer farmers, driving horses, needed to take longer breaks during the day and quit working earlier in the evening than farmers do today.