Questions: Sections 11-13
- What were some of the challenges faced by pioneer farmers?
- List some items needed by pioneers during their first years on a homestead claim.
- What was involved in canning food? Why was it so important to do canning in exactly the right way?
- By what age was a child usually considered able to take on many adult responsibilities? What farming tasks were common for older children?
- What had bonanza farms proven? What had cattle bonanzas done for western North Dakota?
- During what two time periods had the population soared significantly in North Dakota? What had brought most of these people to North Dakota?
- What was happening to North Dakota’s population by 1915?
Critical Thinking Question
- If you had grown up on a North Dakota farm in the early 1900s, which kinds of work would you find most and least enjoyable? Explain.