The legislative branch of the United States government is called Congress.• Legislative branch of the U.S. government
• Made up of the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives Congress is made up of two separate bodies (houses) called the Senate• Composed of 100 members
• Two members from each state
• North Dakota has two U.S. Senators and the House of Representatives.• Composed of 435 members
• Membership is based on the population of each state
• North Dakota has one U.S. Representative
Voters from each state elect two senators; therefore, the United States Senate is made up of 100 members (2 × 50 states =100). The House of Representatives is much larger than the Senate because it is based on the populationNumber of people in each state. It is composed of 435 members. North Dakota has one representative, but California, which has a much larger population, has over 50. Each state must have at least one representative.