Questions: Sections 5-7
- Name the first army fort in North Dakota. Where was it located?
- Which fort later became a boarding school for Indian children?
- Which fort was located farthest west in North Dakota? From where did materials to build this fort come?
- Which fort was located along the Red River in northeastern North Dakota?
- The name of Fort McKeen was changed to what?
- Who commanded the U.S. 7th Cavalry?
- In 1876, Custer and his cavalry were wiped out at what Montana battle?
- Who spent 57 years trying to make people believe that her husband was a hero?
- What fort was turned over to the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation?
Critical Thinking Question
- Explain why the fort west of the Missouri River (south of Mandan) and the fort east of the Missouri River (south of Bismarck) may be confusing to some people.