Questions: Sections 1-3
- What was organized in 1861? What did it include?
- What did President Lincoln order after over 300 Dakota warriors were threatened with hanging?
- Where did the Dakota people go after the trouble in Minnesota?
- What two army leaders and their armies were sent into North Dakota to round up the Dakota people?
- Many Dakota women and children drowned in the Missouri River as they were fleeing from whom?
- What did Sibley and his troops do with the Dakotas’ provisions and supplies they found beside the Missouri River?
- What was the bloodiest conflict in the history of North Dakota?
- What did Sully and his troops do with half a million pounds of bison meat and other food after the battle?
- What two battles did Sully and his troops fight in western North Dakota?
Critical Thinking Question
- Describe the points of view of both the settlers and the Dakota people in Minnesota in 1862.