Questions: Sections 7-8
- What was the major transportation route used by the first non-Indian residents in eastern North Dakota? In western North Dakota?
- What are the people called who are part American Indian and part European?
- What invention carried furs between Fort Garry, Pembina, and St. Paul?
- What was the primary means of transportation on the Upper Missouri in the 1860s?
- Which steamboat carried news of Custer’s defeat in Montana back to Bismarck? Who was its captain?
- How long did steamboat travel on the Red River continue? What year did it end?
- Which steamboat served the Devils Lake region for 25 years? Where is its pilot wheel now located?
- What ended the stagecoach era in North Dakota?
- What is an iron horse?
Critical Thinking Question
- Steamboat travel was more comfortable than stagecoach travel. Explain why people traveled by stagecoach rather than steamboat between Bismarck and Deadwood.