Questions: Section 4
- Who did many French fur traders marry?
- What are children of Indian and “white” couples called?
- How often did the Métis go on bison hunts into central North Dakota?
- Conflicts between the rival fur trading companies, Hudson’s Bay Company and North West Company, were called what?
- Name the water highway used by fur traders in the Pembina area.
- What Métis invention changed the mode of transportation for the Red River fur trading industry?
- What two animals were used to pull the Red River carts? Which one was stronger?
- Who organized the first Red River cart caravan between Pembina and St. Paul? What was his nickname?
- Red River cart trails extended between what two major trade centers?
Critical Thinking Question
- If you travel north on the Red River, you are going downstream. If you travel north on the Missouri River you are going upstream. Explain.