Questions: Sections 1-3
- Who was the U.S. President who purchased the Louisiana Territory for the United States?
- Who were the commanders of the Corps of Discovery?
- What boats did Lewis and Clark use when they left St. Louis?
- Who was the only member of the expedition to lose his life? What happened to him?
- Which agricultural tribe did Lewis and Clark meet near present-day Mobridge, South Dakota?
- What shocked the Arikara chief who traveled with Lewis and Clark?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Which of the four goals of the expedition do you think was the most important? Explain.
- Why didn’t the men just let the keelboat drift with the current rather than working so hard to move it along?