- Creation Narratives
- Land Ownerships
- Treaties and Treaty-Making
- Boarding Schools
- Indian Policy and Federal Legislation
- Where did the Lakota people originate?
- Over what period of time did their migration occur?
- According to documented history, how long have the people lived in their present location?
- How did the Lakota people record the events of their existence?
- What is the long-term effect of the treaties made with the Lakota people? For both parties?
- What effect did language have on the treaty negotiations process?
- What are the differences and similarities between how land and property is held or owned by native and non-native peoples?
- Why were reservations created?
- What was the impact of federal legislation on native peoples?
- Economic Survival
- Cultural Maintenance
- How has the dynamic of cultural change worked for North Dakota tribal communities?
- What problems do tribal communities face? How do they compare to the problems of other North Dakota communities?
- How has the tribal community specialized in meeting the needs of people?
- What are the challenges and opportunities facing tribal, local, national, and international communities today?
- Forms of Leadership
- Role of Religion in Leadership
- Hereditary Leadership
- Style of Leadership
- How were leaders chosen in historic times?
- How are leaders selected in contemporary times?
- Compare and contrast historic and contemporary leadership.
- What benefits were derived from traditional forms of leadership?
- Many native cultures believe that it is critical for their survival to maintain traditional forms of leadership. What elements are important? How do they benefit the people?
- Harmony with Nature
- Family and Clan Structures
- Impact of Boarding Schools
- Culture in Transition
- What is subsistence and why was it important to native cultures?
- How did the environment and geographic region form lifestyles and traditions of native peoples?
- How are lifestyles affected by changing seasons?
- What are some similarities and differences between native and non-native family structures?
- What are clans and bands, and why were/are they significant to the Lakota and Dakota people?
- What are some differences between historical and contemporary divisions of work for both native and non-native people? Your family? In the past and in the present?
- Why were native students taken from their homes and sent to boarding schools?
- How would you feel if you were taken from your home and family and placed in a boarding school?
- Traditional Forms of Governance
- Modern Forms of Governance
- How does governance differ in traditional and modern forms of tribal governments?
- What characteristics of limited and unlimited government apply to tribal governments? To state governments? To the federal government?
- There are several kinds of relationships between the central government of a nation and other units of government within that nation. What is the relationship between tribal, local, state, and the federal government?
- How are tribal governments the same as municipal and state governments? How do they differ?
- There are alternative ways of organizing constitutional governments—representation or electoral, for example. How are tribal governments organized?
- Can tribal governments be defined as confederation, federal, or unitary systems of governments? Why? Why not?
- Traditional Land Base
- Subsistence vs. Development
- Ownership vs. Severalty
- What were tribal communities like in the past?
- How have the geographic and environmental forces influenced the distribution and concentration of state and tribal populations and resources?
- How has the environment affected the tribal community?
- How is the tribal community unique and special?
- Where are the tribal cities located? How do they compare in size, population, business and industry, to other North Dakota communities?
- Do a comparative analysis of the distribution of agricultural land to native peoples and non-native peoples. Based upon data, what are the consequences of land distribution?
- How have native peoples adapted to their current environment? Assess and report.
- Compare and contrast the economy on the reservation to neighboring communities.
- Do the people of Standing Rock have a stable economic infrastructure (private business sector)?
- How long has the tribe had a stable economic infrastructure? What has been the impact on the tribal community? On neighboring communities?