How coal production affects the people of North Dakota:
- North Dakota lignite provides low-cost electricity to people in every part of the state.
- Because of North Dakota lignite, electric rates in North Dakota are competitive and among the lowest in the United States.
- The North Dakota coal industry provides jobs and high wages (pay).
- Approximately 16,000 people have jobs in or related to the lignite industry in North Dakota.
- People in the lignite industry earn some of the highest wages in the state.
- Over the past 40 years, the state of North Dakota has received more than one billion dollars ($1,000,000,000) in tax money from the lignite industry.
- Opportunities continue to be available for young people to choose careers in the lignite industry, including heavy equipment operators, mechanics, electricians, engineers, accountants, and many others.