Questions: Sections 3-5
- What method of transportation could carry more cargo, go upstream easier, travel longer distances, and travel much faster than a keelboat?
- What was the first steamboat to reach Fort Union?
- Who was the German scientist who studied and wrote reports about animals, plants, rocks, etc., in the Upper Missouri area?
- Name two artists who spent time at Fort Union and Fort Clark and did hundreds of drawings and paintings.
- Who identified 11 new species of birds in the Upper Missouri area? What has been named in his honor?
- What terrible misfortune did the steamboat St. Peter bring to the Upper Missouri in 1837?
- The Mandan and Hidatsa started a village together and were later joined by the Arikara. What was the name of the village?
- The Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Tribes are known as what?
- When silk hats came into fashion, what lost its value?
- What prairie product did people on the East Coast think was a delicious food?
- What resulted in the killing of millions of bison?
- What happened to Fort Clark and Fort Union?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Why did Prince Maximilian bring an artist rather than a photographer with him to get pictures of American Indians and landscapes?
- John Jacob Astor retired in 1834. If he had retired in 1864 instead, do you think he would have become the richest person in the United States? Explain.