Questions: Sections 9-10
- What did the Dakota territorial legislature law passed in 1883 create?
- When North Dakota became a state, about how many schools were there in the state?
- How long were most school terms? If school was not held during the winter, what was the term called?
- What did many immigrant children learn for the first time when they went to school?
- Who was responsible for keeping the schoolhouse clean and warm?
- What did a female teacher need to do if she got married?
- What form of transportation, other than walking or using horses, did many teachers use?
- About 20 years after North Dakota became a state, how many schools were there in the state?
- What was a major highlight of the school year?
Critical Thinking Questions
- If you were a pioneer child, would you rather attend a country school or a town school? Explain.
- Give a student’s point of view of having the teacher board at the student’s home.