Questions: Section 8
- Who contributed to the success of the homestead?
- Name some items that usually needed to be purchased during the first years on a homestead claim.
- What did early homesteaders gather to sell for $8 to $12 a ton?
- Who was generally in charge of milking cows and raising poultry? How often did cows need to be milked?
- What did women make out of lye, animal fat, and rain water?
- What household tasks did bachelors learn to do themselves?
- Name some jobs often held by single women.
- Name some of the earliest chores given to children.
Critical Thinking Questions
- Imagine you were a pioneer child on a homestead. Describe how your life would be different from what it is today. Remember the expectations of a 10-year-old child.
- If you were a pioneer child, would you rather live on a homestead or in town? Explain.