Questions: Section 5
- What have the years 1878 to 1886 been called? What was settled during that time?
- A person from another country who comes into a country to live is called what?
- What was the peak year for homesteading?
- What were the two major factors that accounted for the settlement of North Dakota?
- Who could file land claims for the first time?
- What did the Northern Pacific Railroad have to sell to settlers?
- What structure did land agent Warren Hurd build for entertaining land buyers? What did this building have that was very rare at that time?
- A person who settles in an area that has not been occupied before, except by tribes, is called what?
Critical Thinking Question
- Do you think the railroad companies made a good business decision for themselves by selling their land so cheaply?