Questions: Sections 1-6
- Who was the U.S. president who signed the bill creating Dakota Territory? In what year?
- Who appointed the first governor of Dakota Territory? Who was the first governor?
- What was the law-making body of the territory called? It was composed of what?
- Name the first capital of Dakota Territory. Where was it located?
- What U.S. government body was in charge of organizing and naming territories?
- What did a town need in order to become a county seat?
- The power that groups have in controlling decisions about government is called what?
- Who became the agent for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company? What county office did he hold?
- Who was the territorial governor who wanted the capital moved?
- Where did the nine-member capital relocation commission meet?
- What is a “capital”? What is a “capitol”?
- What is a town planned on paper but never built called?
- Which city was chosen as the new capital of Dakota Territory?
- A plan of government is called what?
- Which U.S. president signed the bill creating North Dakota? On what date?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Explain why it might not be a good idea for the governor to be good friends with a powerful railroad agent.
- Describe how you would have felt if you had been a resident of Yankton when the “meeting on wheels” was held, and how you would have felt if you had been a resident of Bismarck.