Questions: Section 8
- The Plains Indians were deeply spiritual and believed in what?
- How did the American Indians believe that all humans and animals should be treated?
- What is the most sacred symbol of the American Indian?
- Name the powerful symbol of roundness that shows the circle of life.
- The number four is special to the Plains Indians. Give examples of groups of four in the natural world.
- Name the four values that were significant to the Plains Indians.
- Why were there no jails?
- The Indians believed that helping others was more important than what?
- What ceremony shows the importance of generosity?
- Name the custom of touching an enemy without killing him.
- Who deserved respect because of their wisdom?
- Which people were powerful in the Plains Indian cultures?
- What animal is sacred to the Plains Indian tribes because it gave its life so the people could survive?
- Buffalo Calf Woman told the people that the sacred pipe brings people together in what?
- What was used to purify the spirit?
- What was the most important religious ceremony of the Lakota and other Plains Indians?
- What ceremony was a common way to cleanse and purify the body, mind, and spirit?
- What object is sacred for American Indians because it is a symbol of the Creator?
- According to U.S. law, who may possess eagle feathers?
- At high school and college graduations, American Indians sometimes wear what as part of their graduation regalia?
- What does an eagle feather bring to the person wearing it?
Critical Thinking Question
- If a law were passed that totally banned smoking everywhere, would Indians have to give up their ceremonies in which smoking is done? Explain.