Questions: Section 4
- Which part of North Dakota is well-suited for farming? For ranching?
- What was brought into North Dakota to provide meat for soldiers in military forts?
- Where did the largest number of cattle herds come from? What were they called?
- What is the unfenced land used for grazing cattle called?
- Who came to the Badlands to hunt and then bought two ranches? What was his nickname? What did he do from 1901 to 1909?
- What French nobleman founded a town in the Badlands? What did he name the town?
- What disaster put most of the cattle bonanzas out of business?
- A.C. Huidekoper had the largest what to ever operate in North Dakota?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Do you think better planning could have prevented the huge cattle losses in 1886–87? Explain.
- Some promoters of the Little Missouri River region thought the area should be called “Pyramid Park” instead of “Badlands.” What is your opinion? Explain.