Questions: Sections 1-2
- Name North Dakota’s Indian reservations.
- Name the reservation in South Dakota that extends slightly into southeastern North Dakota.
- What tribes make up the Three Affiliated Tribes?
- What reservation was set up for the Three Affiliated Tribes?
- What area on the reservation had very rich farmland, good grazing land, timber, orchards, and a lot of wild game?
- Where was the first headquarters of the Three Affiliated Tribes?
- A wall built across a river in order to hold back the water is called what?
- What was built in the 1950s that forever changed the way of life for the people of Fort Berthold Reservation?
- Water that is held back by a dam forms what?
- What lake was formed as a result of the Garrison Dam?
- What is the largest lake in North Dakota and the third largest man-made lake in the United States?
- Name the new towns built on the reservation to replace the ones that were destroyed.
- The building of what bridge was the largest bridge project in state history?
- What is the name of the college located on the Fort Berthold Reservation?
- What business employs hundreds of people from the Three Affiliated Tribes?
- Where is the tribal headquarters of the Three Affiliated Tribes?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Imagine that you are living in Elbowoods in 1953. Describe your feelings after you learn about the building of Garrison Dam.
- A bridge was not built across the widest part of Lake Sakakawea. Why?